Become a School Bus Driver

Become a School Bus Driver 

I have a CDL. How do I apply?

Start by filling out DMV’s School Bus Driver Candidate Survey. Then, you should contact your local school district or a school bus contractor in your area about employment opportunities. 


What do I need to become a school bus driver?

You will need a Commercial License with

  • a School Bus “S” endorsement, and

  • a Passenger “P” endorsement.  

Learn how to get a CDL “S” endorsement

Learn about Commercial Driver Licenses


I do not have a CDL, but I want to help. What can I do?

To address the urgent need for school bus drivers, the state is making it easier to apply for a CDL by removing the 14-day waiting period between the written permit test and the road test.

Get you first Commercial Driver License (CDL)

For any question please reach out to Cory McCasland- Transportation Supervisor via email or by phone 518-594-7060 ext. 4